Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hairy Spaceship

Hairy Spaceship



One of my stranger renderings of late, it's also one of my favorites. I wasn't really sure what I was going to create when I started with a blank slate in Hexagon, but the underlying structure of this model was what emerged. I thought it would make a good base for a translucent crystal of some sort, but when I started working with it in Carrara I quickly decided to go with something darker, opaque, and reflective.

The hair was the stroke of inspiration that tied this all together for me -- the weather, the water, and the patchy mist clinging to the ship all serve to refine and emphasize this one aspect of the scene.

Frankly, I find the end effect pretty menacing. Always a good thing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christopher M. Park said...

Wow, tell me what you really think.

Anonymous said...

The menacing thing about this, is that it exists. I hate how closely it resembles the ship in my premonition.

Anonymous said...

'premonition' eh?

See furry flying things in the future? Funny that - I saw exactly the same thing...

I FORESEE BIRDS IN THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!

Some real weirdo's in the world crying out for lonely assistance...

The ship is an interesting concept. I kind of struggle to see the ship. perhaps by creating hair of which is relaxed and adding fill hair so you don't get bald patches you will have a more realistic mock.

Miller said...

this is a curious idea, i'm sure it would do better if the hair was less thick, or more short, in some state, to show that it is a ship under it all.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christopher M. Park said...

To the anonymous folks who are enjoying popping by here TWO YEARS after this was posted to comment that it's shit, please know your post will be deleted. Why?

1. This is an incredibly old image, and I got much better in the intervening years.

2. This was something I put together in about 20 minutes, just messing with the hair effect in Carrara. I thought the overall effect was neat, so I posted it.

I'm not claiming it's great art, or even finished, or even art at all particularly. It was just an experiment with a new-at-the-time feature in a program that I haven't even used for two years.

Lordy lord, why people feel the need to anonymously heckle in that way -- without context or consideration -- is beyond me.