Thursday, October 4, 2007

Passing 100 Revised/Expanded Pages!

Five pages tonight! At first I mostly did a lot of revising of older content, because I was starting a new scene with Lela, who I hadn't written for in a week or so, and I needed to get back into her head. But once I got back into her head, it went very quickly. It was hard to write her perspective at first, but during my last sequence of scenes with her, I finally found the method for it, and now it's really enjoyable.

A lot of tonight's content was actually brand-new, but since I also outright deleted a two-page scene that is now redundant and which was crappy in the first place, my net word count actually didn't increase that much. And, I'm actually happy about that, since I'm still in the revising/expanding stage of things. My goal of 80,000 estimated words was seeming too far off a few months ago, before I started this process (I thought I might run out of storyat 60,000 words or so), but now I'm legitimately concerned that the entire story might not fit in just 80,000 words.

I'm confident that it will work out, though, and actually it's a good feeling to have too much content. It makes it easy to justify dumping any marginal content -- every scene must count, since I only get so many. As long as I end up between 80,000 and 100,000 estimated words, I'll be happy, but I'm still going to do my best to make sure that each and every scene really counts -- see my earlier post from today for what I mean by that. So far, so good on that score!

It also strikes me that it is now day 4 out of 31 for this month, and I'm already 25% of the way to my monthly goal. It's particularly good to be ahead because I'm not going to have much chance to write for the next three days -- and some of the other weekends from this month are looking pretty doubtful, too. Family events have to take precedence, of course, so that just means that I'll be getting fewer weekdays off from writing this month. As long as I keep ahead of things over the next couple of weeks, I should be in good shape for hitting my goal of 160 total pages, though.

The stats as of today:
-37,000 estimated words.
-43,585 actual words.
-Six-and-a-portion fully-revised-and-expanded chapters (101 pages total).
-Eleven completed chapters in all (148 pages).

2 comments:

Rachel V. Olivier said...

That sounds like a really productive day! Cool!

Christopher M. Park said...

Indeed, it was. Thanks!