Thursday, May 31, 2007

Ne quid nimis

Blogging is addictive. And, as is the case with most addictions, that's not a good thing. Life is already too full of things to do . If you've been wondering where I was for the past week, perhaps you thought that I was:

A) Dealing with personal life issues.
B) Very busy with day-job work.
C) Working on my actual novel.
D) Trying to relax at least a little.
E) All of the above.

As is far too often the case with multiple choice questions, the answer is "all of the above." Though sadly not as much of answer C as I would have preferred. Lot's of planning for my manuscript, a fair bit of editing, and a little bit of writing. I'll have more on my progress sometime soon, but let's leave it at that for now.

To be clear: I have no plans for giving up my blog, but I'm also not going to let it dominate my evenings like I did for a while there. I'll continue to try and have a new post at least once a week, and many weeks may see (vastly) more posts than that, but I'm not going to adhere to any particular schedule. If you read a lot of blogs, my best advice is to subscribe to RSS feeds (that link is to mine). It's the easiest way to get notified whenever a blog author makes an update to his/her blog. That way you don't keep checking back every day, only to be disappointed whenever the daily offering isn't there. It's the concept of push technology at its best!

I know I've said things like this before, but this time I'm going to try stick to it. My addictions are collecting things and (apparently) blogging-related activities such as posting far too many comments elsewhere in the blogosphere, but I will overcome them! At least I don't have any of the really nasty habits--no smoking, no drugs, and alcohol only in extreme moderation. I suspect we all have some nontraditional addictions in our lives, and if those are preventing us from writing as much as we'd like, well, we ought to at least evaluate that.

"In all things moderation." --Publius Terentius Afer

No comments: