Tonight I decided that it was once again time to work on some prewriting. I needed to flush out a few more minor points about my major characters, and do a lot more flushing out of my minor characters. This exercise really helped, I think, and should make writing much easier in the future. I actually wrote 2,400 words worth of character bios today -- that would be ten standard pages! It's a shame that doesn't count towards my actual word count, but I have a great feeling that this will help with the fact that I keep getting stuck.
It's not that I haven't had motivation (though I haven't had much time). It's that things just haven't been feeling quite right. Things have seemed harder than they should, than they have in the past, and I haven't been able to shake the feeling that I just am not close enough to my characters. Hence tonight's earlier musings, as well as this character prewriting work. I don't think I'm fully there yet, but I am getting closer to the point at which the full weight of my momentum should hit, and I should be able to blaze through at least another substantial portion of this book.
Also, I did manage to revise my content from last time, and I actually wrote another two pages of new content. It came very easily tonight, after all my prewriting. All right! But that doesn't necessarily mean I have my momentum back. We'll see what the upcoming holidays do to that.
The stats as of today:
-47,250 estimated words.
-55,491 actual words.
-Nine and a portion fully-revised-and-expanded chapters (155 pages total).
-189 pages in all.
-Song(s) listened to while writing: Sick Cycle Carousel and Somebody Else's Song, both by Lifehouse
Post a Comment